Hello ice-cream lovers. As I have previously mentioned, I am NOT the biggest fan of ice cream… I find it cold. BUT I am a bit fan of jelly with ice cream. I had some friends round for a jelly and ice cream evening… turned out to be a bit more wine based than ice cream focused!
One of my pet hates, if finding recipes online that include things that I don’t have – like an ice cream machine. Seriously.. in the days of old, when there was no electricity, I am pretty sure there was ice cream. Additionally … have you SEEN how expensive ice cream machines are?! It’s extortionate!! I refuse to be sucked into it…
Instead, I made a very basic vanilla ice cream. Not only was it deliciously creamy and insanely easy to make – I made it during my lunch break – but it doesn’t have any chemicals or preservative in it. It also tastes MIGHTY fine with jelly.
This post is going to be a short but sweet one… I am tired and it’s bed time!
So, Voila – the recipe:
Vanilla Ice cream
2 vanilla pods500ml double cream
70g sugar3 egg yolks
2 handfuls of washed blueberries1 tbsp caster sugar4 tbsp water
Vanilla Ice cream
- Cut the vanilla pods lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Add the pods to the cream and bring to the boil, then add the sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Now whisk the egg yolks in a large bowl then slowly whisk in the hot cream mixture.
- Pour the mixture through a fine sieve into another bowl and whisk in the vanilla seeds. Pour the mixture into a freezer-proof container and freeze for 2-3 hours, or until set.
- Use a ice cream scoop
- Place the sugar and water in a pan on a high heat and cook until all sugar has dissolved (stir the whole time)
- Add the blueberries and allow to cook for a further 4 minutes
- Leave to cool
- Add to ice cream scoops