A colleague of mine is leaving today… he is a freaking computer genius at 19! Anyway, it’s sad… so as with any occasion, I thought I would bake a cake. Due to extreme time restrictions yesterday, I had to do something quick. This is really easy to bake people. I would not tell a lie.
All you do is take a normal vanilla sponge recipe, add some cut up fresh strawberries. Bake for about 30 mins and then pour melted dark chocolate on top. And of course more strawberries and some casual icing sugar. SO SIMPLE.
Here is the recipe for any one … I think it would be great for a kids party if you have a million things to do. Just make double the amount of batter for a layer cake.
p.s. bare in mind that I used a large cake tin… so if you have extra batter you can always just pop it into some cupcake cases and bake those for around 12-15 mins… as an extra treat! That’s what I normally do.
350g unsalted butter
350g caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
380g plain flour
2 tbsp plus 2 tsp baking powder
200g chopped fresh strawberries
Glaze & Decoration:
150g Dark chocolate
a handful of fresh strawberries (leaves cut off)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C and grease your baking tin
- Mix the butter and sugar together until light, fluffy and thoroughly mixed.
- Add one egg at a time and mix thoroughly.
- Add vanilla extract
- Sieve in flour and baking powder and fold in carefully until totally mixed.
- Add chopped strawberries and mix until evenly dispersed.
- Pour into baking tin and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and it bounces back when pressed
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack
- Once the cake has cooled fully, place the chocolate in a pyrex bowl, over a pot of boiling water on the stove (the bowl should not touch the bottom of the pot)
- Stir until the chocolate is fully melted and take off the heat.
- Pour the chocolate over the cake and spread evenly (or as you wish)
- Add the strawberries in the centre
- Once the chocolate has cooled and dried, sieve some icing sugar over the strawberries and chocolate glaze for effect
Enjoy those strawberries.. the ones I had were so sweet…. you know it’s the season to eat strawberries when that happens.