This chocolate cake recipe is one of my favourites. It is a layer cake with caramel filling and chocolate buttercream icing. And ohhhh that crumbled cookie is the cherry on top. I am not a fan of too big a layer of icing so I used a spatula to scrape off a lot and make the surface smooth!
If you fancy making it, here is the recipe:
225g butter, at room temperature
225g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
80g cocoa powder
225g self raising flour
milk (depending on how tight the mixture is)
1 packet rolos
50 ml double cream
2 (large) tbsp Nutella
Chocolate Butter Icing:
57g butter, softened
88g cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
480g sifted confectioners’ sugar
3-4 tbsp milk
3 Chocolate Chip Cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C and grease two identical (size) cake tins
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy
3. Add one egg at a time, making sure that they are mixed in thoroughly each time
4. Sieve in the flour and cocoa powder
5. The mixture should have a soft dropping consistency, so add milk (slowly) if too stiff.
6. Divide into the two tins and bake for 20 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean)
7. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then move to cooling rack until fully cooled.
1. Melt rolos by placing in a pyrex dish over a pot of boiling water.
2. Mix with double cream and Nutella & beat with hand mixer until it thickens to a caramel like consistency.
3. Once the cakes are cooled, spread the caramel filling onto the top of one of the cakes, and then place the other cake on top of this.
Chocolate Buttercream frosting:
1. Beat all the ingredients together until light and fluffy
2. Using a large metal offset spatula, apply the frosting to the top of the cake (sparingly at first – this is the crumb coat). Scrape off any excess with a pastry spatula and allow to cool in the fridge for an hour.
3. After an hour, remove from the fridge and apply a thicker layer of butter frosting, scraping off with the edge of the spatula as you go. If you want a really smooth finish – wet the spatula with cold water, shake excess water, and run over the frosting again.
Roughly Crush 3 chocolate chip cookies and place in the middle of the top of the cake.
Enjoooooy baking people!