I wanted to make fig and white chocolate tarts, but figs aren’t in season at the moment. So, I saw some tasty looking rhubarb at the market and thought… when life doesn’t give you figs… make rhubarb cake. That’s the saying…. right?! I have to say, rhubarb was a lot easier to work with than I thought and I love the tangy sweetness of it.
Here is how I made these rhubarb and almond tea cakes:
110g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
110g self-raising flour
1-2 tbsp milk
60g flaked almonds
100g fresh rhubarb
- Cut the rhubarb into thin slices (as seen in image above)
- Add butter, sugar and rhubarb to a pan and put on medium heat until the rhubarb softens (10 mins)
- Take off heat
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and butter the insides of a cupcake tin (no cupcake cases needed) and cut baking paper
- Mix all the sponge ingredients together until light and fluffy.
- Spoon into the cases (until half full)
- Add as much rhubarb and almond flakes as your taste allows
- Bake for 15 mins (until a skewer comes out clean)
- Leave to cool
- Once cool, place your hand on each cake and gently twist to loosen.