I was inspired to make these by Naomi’s lovely cookies over at Bakers Royal. That marshmallow thang…
They’re called hot chocolate cupcakes because I added a few sneaky teaspoons of hot chocolate powder into the cupcakes… If things can be made more chocolatey, I will be the one to do it! I am an absolute chocoholic! So much so that my family called me “Trisha Jaffa Cake Jones” when I was little because of the amount of jaffa cakes I could eat in one sitting…
Here is the recipe to my hot chocolate and marshmallow cupcakes for you!
110g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
110g self raising flour
1-2 tbsp milk
2 tsp hot chocolate powder
60 ml water
60 ml cup light corn syrup
1 tbsp powdered gelatin
2 tbsp cold water
2 egg whites, room temperature
100g dark cooking chocolate
– Preheat the oven to 170°C
– Add all your ingredients together and mix with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined
– Line a cupcase tin with cases, and fill each one halfway
– Bake for 12 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean)
– Leave to cool
– Add the water, corn syrup, and sugar to a pot; and boil until the “soft ball stage”.
– Add the gelatin into the cold water and leave to dissolve.
– Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the gelatin.
– Whip the whites until soft peaks form, and pour the syrup into the whites.
– Continue to whip until stiff.
– Add to a pastry bag and pipe onto the cupcakes (once cooled) in a circular shape, like a mountain. Melt the chocolate and use a spoon to pour it onto the marshmallow topping.
– Leave to cool.